DR. PAMELA PEEKE
THE HUNGER FIX
THE THREE-STAGE DETOX AND RECOVERY PLAN FOR OVEREATING AND FOOD ADDICTION
by Dr. Pamela Peeke
Stop your war with food. End the overeating. Declare victory over food obsession and addiction. Science now tells us we can. And weight management will never be the same again.
In her groundbreaking new book, nationally renowned nutrition and fitness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke reveals her revolutionary game changer in weight management. Food addiction is real. We can pass it on to our children. Any woman or man, of any size or shape, can become addicted to food. Dr. Peeke has a customized detox and recovery plan that works, and the science to back it up.
Now, in THE HUNGER FIX: The Three-Stage Detox and Recovery Plan for Overeating and Food Addiction (Rodale; September 2012; Hardcover; $25.99), New York Times bestselling author Dr. Pamela Peeke explains in her trademark easy-to-understand language the science behind food addiction, and details why traditional “dieting” will never work for the food addicted. Then, she shares her science-based, three-stage detox and recovery plan, with inspiring, real-life stories from those she has helped overcome and manage lifelong battles with cravings and weight gain. These include “The Biggest Loser” finalist Tara Costa, who shed 155 pounds, is now an Ironman triathlete, and who wrote the foreword.
The science is fresh, revolutionary and powerful. We now know that in vulnerable individuals, constant exposure to sugary/fatty/salty foods can hijack the brain’s dopamine reward system in exactly the same way as drugs or liquor does a crack addict or alcoholic. The ability of the brain’s CEO (prefrontal cortex) to rein in impulses becomes seriously impaired. You can forget “moderation” in an addicted brain.
In THE HUNGER FIX, Dr. Pamela Peeke provides the reader with the Yale Food Addiction Scale Quiz, the first validated tool for consumers to assess the presence of food addiction. She then tells how we can reclaim our brains by rewiring our reward system, and gives us the tools to achieve lifelong control over food cravings, overeating and food obsessions. THE HUNGER FIX is filled with information on:
• Big Brain, Small Waist – Learn how to increase the size and power of your prefrontal cortex to help you decrease the size of your waist, and feel in control of every bite you eat;
• Your Mind-Body Hardwiring: Slip into your genes! The new science of epigenetics proclaims that you can dampen down and even turn off the genes of self-destruction and addiction;
• Mind, Mouth, Muscle – Dr. Peeke’s 3 M template helps you rein in impulses through unique motivations and meditation tools (mind), substituting False Fix Foods with Healthy Fix Foods to reclaim your reward system (mouth), and shows you fun, easy and rewarding ways to move your body to strengthen your brain while you shed excess fat (muscle);
• The “False Fix” – How to identify and manage the persons, places and things in your life that trigger addictive eating;
• Healthy Fix Foods and Recipes – Top culinary nutritionists and chefs show how easy it can be to prepare Healthy Fix Food meals and snacks that reward you with satisfaction and satiety;
• Your True Hunger – Finding your healthy hunger, how to get high on life not False Fixes.
Pamela Peeke MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert on nutrition, metabolism, stress, and fitness, and assistant clinical professor of medicine at the University of Maryland. Author of the New York Times bestsellers Body for Life for Women, Fight Fat After Forty, and Fit to Live, she is the Chief Lifestyle Expert for WebMD, chief medical correspondent for nutrition and fitness for Discovery Health TV, and host of Discovery’s “Could You Survive?” Dr. Peeke regularly appears on national television and in publications including Prevention, Fitness, O, Good Housekeeping, and More magazine.
Known as the “doc who walks the talk,” Dr. Peeke is founder of the Peeke Performance Center for Healthy Living™ and has helped guide thousands of men and women to lifelong recovery from overeating and food addiction. I look forward to speaking to you about Dr. Pamela Peeke and her fascinating and game-changing book, THE HUNGER FIX.